The BCL102 is a non restricted, semi-automatic, 308 rifle made in Canada. It’s primarily based on the AR102 design, which predates the AR15 design and so it’s not an AR15 variant and may be non restricted with a 18.5″+ barrel right here in Canada. As a result of it’s non restricted, you possibly can use one in every of these to hunt with or simply have enjoyable within the gravel pit. Observe, that is Gen3 of this rifle. Whereas I used to be pondering of shopping for a Stag 10, this rifle was in-stock for $1378 on sale and my pockets selected the a lot cheaper choice. This was a mistake.
- Ceracoated Black, ODG or FDE colour schemes. (my “black” completed rifle was extra of a extremely darkish inexperienced)
- BCL adjustable inventory
- Ambi security
- Ambi bolt launch
- Normal A2 grip
- (1) PMAG 5/20 magazine
- Aluminum free float forend with MLOK suitable slots and picatinny rail high
- 1:10 twist, fluted, 18.6″ barrel, black nitride end
- Flash hider (it’s kinda lengthy at 2 3/4″)
- Lifetime guarantee
- Comes coated in preserving oil that smells like cinnamon!
Taking pictures the BCL-102
My BCL-102 ejected with all of the drive of a anti-vaxxer’s child with polio. I gave BCL months to repair the problem and helped by taking pictures sluggish movement movies to point out that the problem was ejection associated. They despatched me a brand new extractor that didn’t repair something, then they didn’t reply in any respect after that.
The actual subject was within the bolt & ejector design. BCL opted to make use of an ejector with a pointy angle on it that additionally sits under the bolt face, low ejector spring rigidity, and a bolt with a really shallow “pocket”. These design decisions in all probability assist the rifle feed effectively, however the results of this mix was that the rim of the ejecting case slipped out of the pocket and off the claw as a substitute of hanging on to it and flicking it out of the port. For my part, that is an unforced design error. The People make and promote 100X extra AR-10’s than we do in Canada. Any deviation from the identified working formulation must be considered with suspicion.
I gave their help 3.5 months earlier than I simply mounted it myself by putting in a $5 off-the-shelf ejector. As soon as I changed the ejector, the rifle ejected simply high quality.
**Replace: April 30, 2019: BCL despatched me new gasoline rings, ejector, ejector spring, extractor, extractor spring+donut. I put in all that stuff and now it’s ejecting accurately.**
The manufacturing unit set off on my BCL102 was respectable for a manufacturing unit AR set off. The only stage broke at round 6lbs with nearly no creep or grit. It was ok that I didn’t really feel the necessity to improve the set off.
The inventory that comes on the gun from the manufacturing unit has adjustment fingers that reach under the inventory. These can catch on a rear taking pictures bag and trigger the inventory to break down underneath recoil. Changing the inventory with a top quality aftermarket inventory can be an enchancment it is best to have a look at when you personal a BCL102 and this inventory.
The manufacturing unit flash hider that the gun got here with was 2 3/4″ lengthy. I changed it with a Hex brake for efficient recoil discount and to chop 1″ off.
Whereas you should utilize the included 5/20 magazine, you possibly can additionally purchase 10 spherical XCR mags to make use of in it as a substitute. I favor the C Product Protection variations and located some at SFRC for an amazing value.
Observe: until in any other case indicated, I haven’t personally verified these.
- Set off is AR15 suitable
- Inventory is AR15 carbine inventory suitable (milspec tube)
- Grip is AR15 suitable
- Matches AR10/SR25 mags
- Muzzle is normal 5/8-24 30 cal. (verified, I put a unique brake on it)
- Charging deal with is AR10, some individuals have needed to do minor becoming to theirs (submitting the ears)
- Barrel makes use of a DPMS barrel extension
- Handguard is DPMS excessive with Armalight barrel nut thread
- Higher and decrease are proprietary. Higher has a shell deflector and no ahead help
V3 of the BCL-102 has misplaced some weight. Whereas the older BCL102’s have been 8.9 lbs, I measured mine to be 8.Three lbs dry with no magazine. I contacted BCL they usually confirmed that they’ve shaved some weight.
I weighed the forend and it was 13.9 oz (V1 was 23 ouncesincluding the barrel nut). That’s VERY beefy for a 14″ lengthy handguard. As a comparability, the SLR Helix is 8.8oz for a 13.7″ handguard together with the barrel nut. So you possibly can get the rifle all the way down to ~Eight lbs simply by swapping to a lighter forend.
It’s cool that the forend is M-Lok suitable and has QD sling mount sections, however IMO, there’s no cause to have a forend this heavy these days. The forend that got here with my WK180C is about the identical size but it surely was solely 189 grams, lower than half the burden.
Observe that as a result of the higher blends in with the BCL higher, they may look goofy with a brand new, light-weight forend.
BCL102 V1 vs V2 vs V3
I don’t know a lot concerning the V2 of the rifle, however my rifle was a 2018 mannequin and it varies from v1 of the rifle as reviewed by Calibre Magazine within the following methods:
- Mud cowl design tremendously simplified in V3 (flat)
- Weight: V3 is 8.3lbs dry, whereas V1 was 8.9lbs
- Brass deflector design modified to a rounded function as a substitute of typical triangular deflector on AR15’s
- Higher now is available in to the decrease and matches traces of the decrease
- Ambi bolt launch on proper hand facet in V3, absent in V1
- Higher receiver spherical matches with forend
- Security design modified (no extra knurling, now has ridges reduce into high and backside of security)
- Set off guard backside now not integrated, now pinned in place
- Comes with a flash hider as a substitute of a brake
- Barrel appears extra deeply fluted
- Priced decrease than you may get a Stag 10
- I favored the ergonomic bolt launch button on the fitting hand facet
- Set off was completely acceptable from the manufacturing unit
- Accuracy seemed fairly OK for mine: 1-2″ at 100
Points I noticed myself:
- Weak ejection points inflicting stovepipe jams as a result of ejector design
- The end was not the right colour
- Forend may be very heavy. Any aftermarket forend can be a lot lighter
- The inventory it comes with is just not nice. Even an ordinary collapsible M4 inventory can be higher
- You need to shut the mud cowl when mounting the higher on the decrease or else it’ll get in the way in which. The mud cowl ought to have a relaxation or bump on it that retains it from jamming on the decrease whenever you reassemble.
- Discovering compatibility particulars is a ache within the ass. BCL doesn’t publish specs or when specs are modified (such because the change from muzzle brake to the looong flash hider)
BCL102 vs Stag 10
OK, it comes with some points, however is it higher than the Stag 10 at a cheaper price level? The BCL102 goes for round $1500, whereas the Stag hovers round $2200, however you may construct for cheaper if you’d like. At $2200, you get a light-weight forend ($250), a Magpul ACS inventory ($120), a Hogue grip ($20), an finish plate with mash hooks ($20), a VG6 brake ($80), an prolonged set off guard ($10), and top quality Stag components all through. The components I discussed above add as much as $500 of distinction and I haven’t introduced up the mud cowl or ejector. The BCL102 has the fitting facet bolt launch as a bonus over the 10.
Worth per function sensible, the Stag 10 and BCL-102 are literally actually shut when you add every thing up like this. For that cause, I’ve to advocate the Stag 10 over the BCL-102. As a result of when you have been to improve your BCL102 to match the options of that $2200 Stag 10, you’re nonetheless on a BCL102 platform. You continue to have components whose specs aren’t effectively documented and should not match off-the-shelf upgrades, a help division that takes months off at a time, and BCL high quality components as a substitute of Stag.
A buddy of mine purchased a Stag 10, so I purchased this BCL102 to match the 2. If you may get the BCL on sale and don’t intend on upgrading it a lot, you could be forward. At round $650, an higher/decrease Stag 10 package is a greater finances selection that permits you to construct the right rifle to the value level that you really want.
When the BCL was the one non restricted AR10 analog, individuals may take care of the design bugs as a result of it was the one sport on the town. With the Stag 10 out there, it’s laborious to advocate the BCL-102. In order for you absolutely the most cost-effective non restricted AR10 analog and also you’re not going to improve any components, it nonetheless matches, but it surely’s nonetheless a foul advice in contrast with the Stag 10.