The Apache-Sitgreaves Nationwide Forest is definitely a mix of two nationwide forests, administered as one. There are over 2 million acres of this mountain nation forest unfold out throughout central-eastern Arizona, all the way in which to the New Mexico border. Situated about 2.5 hours NE of Phoenix, it supplies an amazing vacation spot with its excessive elevation and funky breezes for these on the lookout for aid on sizzling summer season days. There may be plenty of water that drains down from these excessive elevation mountains that varieties the multitude of lakes and rivers that make this such a particular place to go to. The forest may be very distinctive to the arid desert panorama that you simply consider with Arizona. Official Web site.
Though it’s administered as 1 nationwide forest, Apache-Sitgreaves is a mix of two forests and plenty of wilderness areas inside. The northwestern Sitgreaves Nationwide Forest’s predominant attraction is the Mogollon Rim which runs 200+ miles from Flagstaff into western New Mexico. Sitting at a 7600′ elevation, the rim and its many trails present glorious panoramic views to the low lands under. The southeastern Apache Nationwide Forest has its personal elevated highlights in Mount Baldy and Escudilla Mountain, also known as the White Mountains of Arizona. There are four wilderness areas: Mount Baldy, Escudilla, Bear Wallow, and the Blue Vary Primitive Space.
With 2+ million acres, you possibly can think about there are many alternatives to stretch your legs on some climbing trails. Apache-Sitgreaves Nationwide Forest has practically 1,000 miles of climbing trails. There are four Nationwide Recreation Trails: Eagle Path, Blue Ridge, Escudilla, and Basic George Cook dinner. Beneath are a number of the most beneficial hikes in Apache-Sitgreaves however there are many others which you could get pleasure from!
Click on right here for extra nationwide park hikes!
It’s also possible to view our suggestions on climbing gear and tenting gear!
Trailhead Traveler’s Advisable Hikes in Apache-Sitgreaves Nationwide Forest
- Buena Vista Path – 9.Zero miles Loop
- Reasonably tough loop near Present Low with a great probability to see the world’s wildlife
- Nation Membership Path – 3.5 miles Loop
- Straightforward, flat loop with the choice to take a facet path up the steeper Pat Mullen Mountain for extra views
- Los Burros Path – 13.Zero mile Loop
- Excellent path for these venturing from Phoenix for an extended day hike within the cooler elevated mountains. The path is shaded for essentially the most half and hikers have the choice of happening a facet journey to Lake Mountain Lookout
- Mogollon Rim Interpretive Path – 0.9 miles Loop
- Busy path contemplating the recognition of the Mogollon Rim. The loop is self guided, flat, and good for all talent ranges
- Panorama Path – 8.Zero miles Loop
- Reasonably tough loop with good views and a rocky downhill if taken clockwise
- See Canyon Path – 6.1 miles Out & Again
- Lovely, creekside hike down the Mogollon Rim that passes by See Canyon
- Springs Path – 3.Eight miles Loop
- Straightforward loop good for all talent ranges close to Thompson Creek
- West Baldy Path – 13.Eight miles Out & again or One-way
- Reasonably tough path that winds by meadows and forested space close to the Little Colorado. It then begins to steepen on switchbacks earlier than it merges with the East Baldy Path under Mt. Thomas. The summit of Mt. Baldy is off limits as it’s on the Apache Reservation
- Woods Canyon Lake Loop – 2.7 miles Loop
- One of many extra stunning trails within the NF that circumnavigates Woods Canyon Lake