Roof prime tents (RTT) appear to be more and more in style amongst the tenting neighborhood. Nevertheless, as many people have skilled, a roof mounted tent won’t essentially be all that possible to your present car. If mounting an RTT shouldn’t be an possibility for you, all could not but be misplaced. There’s one other tackle the RTT gaining some traction, a trailer hitch tent/camper.
The primary benefits of a trailer hitch tent vs. roof prime are:
- You don’t must pack up your tent each time you need to go someplace. The hitch mounted tent simply detaches, so you may depart it arrange at camp.
- Your car roof could not essentially be designed to hold an RTT or handy. Nevertheless, many hitches ought to be capable to deal with the burden load of a tent. Commonplace is a 2 inch hitch receiver, that may deal with 300 lbs or extra. Hitch tents/campers don’t have any wheels the one attachment is your hitch.
Nomad Hitch Camper
Nomad’s Hitch Camper is basically a tall field: a self-contained tenting unit that folds out to disclose a roof prime tent, ladder and an annex. It suits right into a 2 inch hitch receiver. It’s nicely thought out, together with the flexibility to swing out so you may nonetheless entry the rear of your car with the unit packed up. A few of the fundamental options embrace:
- Dry weight of approx. 300lbs.
- 10 gallon contemporary water tank
- Water pump
- Prompt sizzling water heater for the sink or bathe
- Storage cupboards
- Fold Down desk for cooking, and so forth
- Absolutely adjustable & detachable jack legs for any car top.
Hitch n’ Pitch (Coming Quickly)
Much like the Nomad, the Hitch n’ Pitch relocates an RTT for transportation to your rear hitch. It’s primarily a fold up, sturdy platform that you simply mount a small or medium-sized RTT. A few of the extra in style tents the Hitch n’ Pitch will accomodate, embrace:
- Tepui Ayer and Kukenam
- CVT Mt Bachelor and Mt Shasta
The Hitch n’ Pitch was conceived by Pat Brown, a NASA aerospace engineer. The product continues to be in pre-production phases, however we stay up for seeing the ultimate product on the market quickly.
Expandable Hitch Lodge
Merely put, Hitch Lodge is The World’s First Expandable, Wheel-less Trailer™. At 240 lbs dry weight, with 100+ lbs of cargo capability (relying in your hitch class), the look of the hitch lodge jogs my memory of some sci-fi habitat pod you’d see left on one other planet. It’s fairly an ingenious design, and initially was featured as a Kickstarter challenge.
The hitch lodge includes a welded aluminum body, and a gel coated fiberglass shell. Different options embrace:
- Roof and Window Vents
- Locking Door
- USB port and a 12 volt mild
- Platform that helps 1,000+ lbs
Being a comparatively new area of interest, we stay up for seeing how this hitch camper, and hitch-mounted tents evolve within the close to future.