Whether you’ve been hunting all of your life or just starting out, there are several essentials that can make your hunting experience more enjoyable. Safety, of course is the most important concern of all and you should be prepared for whatever comes up when you are in the wild.
Check out our 15 must-have hunting gear every hunter should own and a reminder of one necessary item to never forget: Water. Most of these items are probably in your hunting gear supplies right now, but you might want to stock up on a few or upgrade items that are worth the investment.
1. Water Bladder
You have to stay hydrated on a hunting trip (And not just with beer). Water should be at the top of your list in terms of importance. This will keep you hydrated in case of an emergency if things go south. You need water while you wait for prey, but what if something goes wrong? Invest in a good water bladder that holds a lot of water and fill it before you set up in your station. Keep extra water close by and iodine tablets for purifying water if needed as well.
Hydration Bladder 2 Liter Leak Proof Water Reservoir, Military Water Storage Bladder Bag, BPA Free Hydration Pack Replacement, for Hiking Biking Climbing Cycling Running, Large Opening, Green
- LARGE OPENING FOR EASY CLEANING & FILLING – Our hydration bladder has one of the largest opening on the market. The big opening makes for easy pouring of water. It is also fairly wide for a hand or bottle brush easily access to the interior hydration bladder. The 4″ screw on cap goes on and off easily. For cold water, simply add ice cubes directly from a scoop or refrigerator ice dispenser. The smooth inner of water reservoir promotes health and is easy to clean.
- PREMIUM QUALITY – The whole hydration bladder is made of premium material. CHERAINTI water reservoir is taste free, BPA free, SGS and FDA certified. This tested to comply with international safety standards. It won’t leave a bad taste in your drink. The water bladder passed pneumatic pressure test, it is pressure-tolerant. Double sealing side technique has greatly improved durability. Might be the most rigid hydration bladder on the market.
- REMAIN PEFECTLY HYDRATED – This 2L water reservoir can withstand temperatures from -20 to 50 degrees Celsius. The tube resists temperature changes in hot and cold weathers. L 14.2” x W 6.8” hydration bladder is compatible with most hydration packs. The tube (0.4″ diameter, 40″ long) provides a wholesome flow for easy drinking, keeping you hydrated when biking, cycling, hiking, or running!
2. Good boots
Boots get better and more comfortable every season. You might have that old pair of lucky boots and good for you if you do, but there is no substitute for waterproof and quality boots. If you are in the cold and wet for very long and do not have decent pair of boots, the last thing you want are blisters. It doesn’t matter what you are hunting for, a good pair of boots will make or break your hunting trip.
ArcticShield Men’s Waterproof Durable Insulated Rubber Neoprene Outdoor Boots
- BEST QUALITY RUBBER AND NEOPRENE: These boots are made from the all natural top quality rubber. The 7MM neoprene is from the best you will find.
- WATERPROOF: Waterproof neoprene uppers and protective rubber overlays
- VERY COMFORTABLE AND WARM: 7MM Neoprene combined with Lightweight retain insulation to provide reliable warmth and protection.
A rangefinder is a device used when hunting to measure the distance to the target. As measuring the distance accurately is imperative, the range allowed by the device should be one of the most important factors to consider in choosing one. The range needed by the shooter will vary depending on the type of hunting in which she or he is doing.
TecTecTec ProWild Hunting Rangefinder – 6×24 Laser Range Finder for Hunting with Speed, Scan and Normal Measurements (Camo)
- HUNTING LASER RANGEFINDER; tired of cheap rangefinders with short ranges of measurement? Our PROWILD Laser Rangefinder is a premium product, measuring up to 540 yards with continuous scan mode, advanced speed technology, and a durable, water resistant body!
- SPEED, SCAN and HUNT TECHNOLOGY: provides fast measurement with +/- 1 yard accuracy
- THROUGH THE LENS DISPLAY; premium, ultra clear, multilayered optics with easy read, through the lens display with distance and battery meter, and continuous measurement mode for fast, convenient measurements!
A headlamp and not a flashlight is something a hunter must have. This leaves both hands free to carry your gun and to deal with wildlife if you make a kill. You must do the dressing into night if you shoot an elk or large deer before sundown and you are going to need to use your headlamp and have both hands free.
Foxelli Headlamp Flashlight – 165 Lumen, 3 x AAA Batteries Operated, Bright White Cree Led + Red Light, Perfect for Runners, Lightweight, Waterproof, Adjustable Headband, 3 AAA Batteries Included
- SUPER BRIGHT CREE-3W LED TECHNOLOGY (200 feet beam) – wide variety of white & red light modes + 45° tiltable body makes this headlight brightest and most versatile in its class. SOS and strobe mode will keep you safe in any situation.
- WATERPROOF AND DURABLE – why equip yourself with anything but the best and most reliable headlamp? MX20 is built to last. It is rated to IPX5, which means it is protected against splashing or spraying water from any angle.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMFORTABLE – you won’t even notice wearing it. Weighing only 3.2 ounces (with batteries) with easily adjustable, ergonomically designed elastic headband makes this light perfect for long distance runners looking for a comfortable fit.
Every hunter should always have binoculars. You want to be able to see miles away to scope out your prey from a long distance. And if you are up high, you want to be able to see the whole area below.
Aurosports 10×25 Folding High Powered Binoculars With Weak Light Night Vision Clear Bird Watching Great for Outdoor Sports Games and Concerts
- Perfect compact lightweight binoculars for bird watching. Can be Used for both day and night (low-light-level night vision, can’t see anything in complete darkness)
- Large field of view. Focusing in on your target for brilliant detail at 1000 yards out.
- Fully multi-coated lenses, waterproof, hyper-durable anti-slip grip gives you everything you want. Light-weight and can be folded, very convenient and easy to carry
6. Trail Camera
The trail camera is a great way to keep track of game over long periods of time if this is a regular hunting area. This camera will pick up animals wandering through the space over time and will track the traffic. The photos are stamped with a date and time so the hunter gains information as to when the game is in the local and how often. This will tell the hunter if this is still a good place to set up a hunting blind or not. At the very least, you might get some great photos of nature up close and personal.
Campark Trail Game Camera-14MP 1080P Waterproof Hunting Scouting Cam with 3 Infrared Sensors for Wildlife Monitoring with 120°Detecting Range Motion Activated Night Vision 2.4″ LCD 42pcs IR LEDs
- 14MP Clearer Image + 1080P Sharper Video Resolution The trail camera captures 14 Mega Pixel crystal images and full HD 1080P videos,providing more high-quality details during daytime(black and white at night).You could easily see the vivid world of wildlife. (Memory card NOT included in the package)
- Faster 0.3s Trigger Speed With 3 sensors, once detecting the movements,the hunting camera will be triggered instantly in 0.3s without delay.You will never miss any exciting moments even at night.The trigger distance is up to 20m(65ft). We don’t recommend touching the sensor lenses on both sides as they may cause scratches (Scratches don’t affect the detection effect).
- Excellent Sensitivity and Night Vision with 3 PIR The scouting camera will detect movements of wild animals as soon as they enter the detecting range.With 3 passive infrared sensors,the high-sensitive camera detect and record every breathtaking motion with lower power consumption.The 42 pcs upgraded infrared LEDs can let you catch any moment even at dark night.850nm invisible infrared technology support super clear night vision.
7. Night Owl Nex Gen Night Scope
The Night Own Nex Gen Night Scope is a great deal that has an ambient light magnification of 500x and it has a strong infrared illumination that grants you the capability to view objects that are normally undetected by the human eye during early morning hours and late evening hours. This is also a very easy to use device.
Night Owl NOXB-5 Explorer Pro 5X Night Vision Binoculars with Infared Illuminators
- 5x magnification, 700 field of view, 575 range of view
- Built-in infared illuminators for viewing in complete darkness
- Steel stringer system for additional precision and control
8. A Pocket Knife
A pocket knife probably goes without mentioning, but if you are going to hunt, you should have a good pocket knife. From slicing food, cutting ropes, to also skinning prey once it is killed, pocket knifes are multi-purpose tools that can never be forgotten.
9. Dependable Bag/backpack
Whether you have a backpack or durable duffle bag, this is an important tool for any hunting trip. Any bag should be waterproof and able to be carried for several miles with your essentials for your adventure. This bag should be lightweight and be an easy load. It is preferable to be able to carry this bag on your back or at least over a shoulder so your hands are free for the most part to carry your weapon.
The clothing needed for hunting, other than your weapon of choice, are the most important accessories for your trip. You should have a camouflage or camo/orange hat, rain gear that should be camo or orange as well. Gloves are a must as well as multiple pair in case the weather is rainy. Heavy duty socks are much needed and pack lots of them! Keep in water safe sealed bags. Wet feet equal a ruined trip and also my endanger your health.
11. Basic First Aid Kit
Your survival kit should have the basic last resort tools. Matches, bandages, blister kit, disinfectant, Tylenol, or ibuprofen, a compass and other first aid materials needed in case of injury or prolonged exposure.
12. Hunting License
Make sure you have your documentation with you at all times that shows you have the legal right to hunt in the state you are in. You never want to be caught without your hunting license and identification.
13. Hunting Blinds
Depending on what you are hunting for, there are different blinds for different game. A deer blind, for example can also double as shelter if need be if you get caught out in the elements and cannot make it back to where your base camp is set up. A good camo blind is the perfect setup for a day out of the rain and wind, but still able to hunt hiding right in plain sight.
14. Wire cutters
There is always a reason to use wire cutters when you are hiking toward where you plan to set up your stake out. Old abandoned wire fences have to be negotiated and with wire cutters, these are easily cut away and your adventure will not be compromised. You may also come across some thorny bushes that if they were just out of the way, you could set up the perfect natural blind. With good wire cutters and your gloves, you can take care of those thorn bushes and have your blind in nothing flat.
KastKing Intimidator Fishing Pliers, Crimper-Cutters 6 inch
- KEY FEATURES – Hardened CV steel slices through wire, mono, and fluorocarbon with ease – Teflon coating – Crimp split shot or build leaders – Tighten knots with built-in cinch holes – These KastKing Intimidator 6″ crimper-cutters are great as fishing tools and are handy fishing accessories to add to your fishing gear.
- HARDENED CV STEEL – This fishing tool is made with super hard CV steel cutters providing long lasting cutting performance, and can slice through mono, fluorocarbon, and up to 2mm thick wire with ease.
- TEFLON COATING – Our Intimidator Crimper-Cutters are coated with a tough Teflon coating for added protection. Designed for long term performance, this fishing accessory is ideal for freshwater environments.
15. Bone Saw
The bone saw can come in handy for two reasons. A bone saw can be needed to cut through the rib cage of an animal or to cut through thick joints to quarter an animal out. The other handy thing about having a bone saw is to use it to cut fresh wood if needed to build a fire for heat.
EverSaw Folding Hand Saw All-Purpose, Wood, Bone, PVC. Best for Tree Pruning, Camping, Hunting, Toolbox. Rugged 8″ Blade, Solid Grip – Quality Made for Real Work
- HOW WE’RE DIFFERENT: EverSaw 8.0 is a high quality tool with a Lifetime Warranty, backed by dedicated Customer Service. You’re getting a sturdy, all purpose pull-cut hand saw that’s built to last and made for real work & serious play – Makes a great gift!
- RUGGED 8″ BLADE, Triple-cut razor teeth hardened to stay sharp for smooth, fast sawing EASILY CUTS wood, bone & plastic. MULTI-PURPOSE utility job saw. Easy and safe to carry
- ERGONOMIC, slip-resistant, comfort grip handle. Gear style lock for safety. Adjustable medium tooth blade
This list could go on and on. Insect repellant, rope, hand warmers, maps, and more could also be on this list. One person can amass more hunting gear, clothes, and boots than non-hunters could possibly believe! Just remember, one of the main items is to have that durable bag to carry all of the things you need to have with you on your hunting adventure. Some items can always remain in the vehicle or at base camp, but the main supplies for your hunt have to be with you. All of the gear listed above if you have a most of those, are going to be in your bag.
Comfort is the name of the game. Remember to dress in layers and have more socks than you need. Carry extra water and if you think your pack is too heavy, pump it up a little before the next hunting season. Then next year it will get easier when you buy more neat gear! Remember, less is not more when it comes to great hunting gear.