I’ve been vegetarian from birth. Each my parents are, and so naturally I just stuck with it. For the most element, I see it as a fantastic issue, for the reason that it aids me have a commonly healthier diet plan than I would if I ate meat. Even so, it is turn out to be additional of a struggle even though figuring out meals for the AT. Some guides to backpacking even though vegetarian have been somewhat helpful, but not fully. There’s a couple of things at play right here that contribute to the struggle. A single, my vegetarian diet plan two, my allergy to each and every nut (peanuts and tree nuts) 3, maintaining expenses down.
Most posts about vegetarian diets that I’ve noticed incorporate a lot of nuts. I cannot consume any nuts, which limits me really a lot. Most types of trail mix and most protein bars have nuts in them, and the ones that do not are either fairly terrible or particularly costly. I do not know several persons that would be prepared to fork more than additional than $two per protein bar that has much less than 300 calories in it. But a lifetime of avoiding nuts even though on a vegetarian diet plan has lead me to some selections that I take into account to be fairly fantastic. Regardless of your allergies or dietary preferences, some of these suggestions could possibly assistance you consider about new selections if you are obtaining sick of the very same old meals selections.
– Sunflower Seed Butter (like peanut butter, but produced of sunflowers): I advocate attempting a type that is sweetened a tiny or has a flavor. It has many utilizes, such as adding to oatmeal, in tortillas, or even placing it on best of protein bars if you are at a severe caloric deficiency. You could also place it on an apple if you occur to essentially acquire fresh fruit in a town (unlikely, but I’m attempting to be optimistic).
– Rice: This is a fairly typical 1, but I consider it is worth mentioning for the reason that it is so versatile. I like to place taco seasoning in mine, but I’m certain I’ll be coming up with far additional inventive points even though on trail to place into rice. Beans are a fantastic addition for some protein, and perhaps consider about pre-soaking all the things in a container even though you hike to conserve fuel even though heating it up.
– Bulgar Wheat: I came across this when I was attempting to cold soak my meals (this didn’t finish properly and I do not advocate it unless you are prepared to go by means of a lot of trial and error and wasted meals). Bulgar wheat is essentially supposed to be cold soaked in the “real” globe anyways, so it is a fantastic solution if you want to adjust up your meals and conserve fuel. I place taco seasoning and some Taco Bell hot sauce packets on it and it wasn’t also negative. Possibly that is my road trip trash taste buds speaking, but I genuinely like Taco Bell hot sauce packets.
– Lentils: If you have a stove, I consider this is worth attempting. Possibly soaking them beforehand and then attempting to cook them would make them softer. I attempted cold soaking lentils and each my boyfriend and I didn’t get previous a couple of bites.
– Protein Powder and Oatmeal: This is not everyone’s issue, but I utilised to place protein powder in my oatmeal in higher college and it worked properly to absorb additional water and add protein at the very same time. I personally use Vega protein powder. It is not cheap, but at times you can locate it on sale, and it is a fairly compact way of obtaining your protein in. If you are much less picky about taste, there’s several affordable protein powders out there. I would recommend some thing that has a higher protein volume per oz given that you are attempting to decrease weight as properly.
– Tofu: This 1 could possibly be a tiny iffy in the extended term and I’m not certain how extended you could maintain it in your pack ahead of it gets nasty, but specifically if you are in cold climate it’ll almost certainly final a couple of days. When I say tofu, I imply get the firmest type with the least quantity of liquid in the package. You can use any flavor packet or sauce you have on tofu and it’ll just taste like that. Tofu does not have that substantially of its personal flavor and I consider that can assistance if you just have to have a protein and fat kick.
– Fake Hot Dogs: These commonly come in a pack of six-eight and generally have no water in the package. I’ve taken these with me on many backpacking trips and ate half a package for dinner numerous nights even though on the road in my Subaru Forester. I can inform you that they maintain properly sufficient for about two days (or 1 evening), but I haven’t attempted them previous that. They’d be fantastic if you are in have to have of protein and some thing that is not mush. I grew up on them so I’m utilised to them, but even my boyfriend who hasn’t even been vegetarian for two years will consume them so they cannot be that negative.
– Fake Jerky: This is not 1 that most meat eaters would almost certainly attempt. There are undoubtedly some terrible brands out there, but there are also some fairly fantastic ones. I honestly cannot say I have an cheap solution for these, but you could possibly be in a position to get in bulk. They’re pretty much fully produced of protein and fat, which is a plus. I’m not going to advocate a brand for the reason that even inside brand I locate a lot of variance.
– Clif Bars: I really feel like this is additional of a luxury item (even though I generally inhale two of these daily at college), but they’re fantastic for me given that I cannot locate several bars that do not have nuts and are comparatively cheap. Note: several Clif Bars have nuts, but there’s some like the chocolate chip flavor that do not. If you have a serious allergy you almost certainly currently know to steer clear of these.
– Make Your Personal Trail Mix: This could be carried out ahead of trail or at each and every person town quit, but you could combine a bunch of distinctive bulk and dried foods for your personal trail mix. This tends to be fairly cheap and is good for the reason that you can customize it and adjust it up. Some of my recommendations to add in are M&Ms (I like the caramel ones), dark chocolate, pretzels, marshmallows (there are vegetarian ones), Cheez-its (I like the alphabet ones to spell points with when I’m super bored), Chex cereal, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
These are just my thoughts, and I’d really like to hear any individual else’s recommendations! I’m certain my preferences and suggestions will adjust more than the course of the trail, and this undoubtedly is not an exhaustive list (I’ll nonetheless almost certainly consume ramen like absolutely everyone else).
This web-site consists of affiliate hyperlinks, which implies The Trek may well acquire a percentage of any solution or service you acquire applying the hyperlinks in the articles or ads. The purchaser pays the very same cost as they would otherwise, and your acquire aids to assistance The Trek’s ongoing purpose to serve you top quality backpacking guidance and facts. Thanks for your assistance!
To understand additional, please pay a visit to the About This Website web page.