The Huge Agnes Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon is a one particular-particular person, double-wall, 3-season, semi-freestanding shelter. Weighing in at 21 oz (595 g), the Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon is lightweight, offered that it is a double-wall shelter. Plus, the weight involves the hub-and-pole assembly, stakes, guylines, fly and stuff sack!
The Huge Agnes Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon minimizes its weight compared to related shelters mainly by way of judicious use of fabric and premium material sourcing. The bathtub floor and the precisely reduce fly are each manufactured from thin Dyneema Composite Fabric, even though the canopy is produced from lightweight ripstop nylon. The poles are constructed of eight.7 Easton carbon fiber. The interior space and vestibule region are minimal, bordering on cramped, one thing the shelter shares with its silnylon cousin, the Huge Agnes Fly Creek HV 1 Platinum.
In brief – this is cottage sector material applied to a nicely-recognized (if not universally loved) style. The query is, is it worth the $800.00 value tag?
Attributes and Specifications
- Single entry (front)
- Side entry vestibule
- Welded building
- Strong interior canopy (as opposed to mesh)
- Storm flaps on vestibule zipper
- Hook and loop tabs to connect fly to pole structure
- Comes with pre-reduce guylines and attached line tensioners
- Colour-coded buckles and webbing for effortless set-up
- Dome structure
- Single pole-and-hub architecture
- Reflective guylines and webbing
- Interior loops for optional gear storage (or Huge Agnes storage accessories)
- Comes with self-adhesive repair patches
- Interior mesh pockets
- Big zipper pull for effortless grip
- Oversize loop and tab closures (for gathering and holding up fly and canopy doors)
- Total Fly + Inner Weight (such as stakes and poles): 21 oz (595 g) (claimed, and verified)
- Fly Weight (such as stakes and poles): 13 oz (369 g)
- Inner tent canopy: ripstop nylon
- Fly: Dyneema Composite Fabrics (CTF-style)
- Poles: eight.7 mm (.three in) Easton carbon fiber
- Pole hub: aluminum
- Packed Size: five in x 18 in (13 cm by 46 cm)
- Floor Region: 19 sq ft (1.eight sq m)
- Vestibule Region: five sq ft (.46 m)
- Apex Height: 39 in (99 cm)
- Stakes Required (max): 11
- Stakes Incorporated: 11
*NOTE: Huge Agnes would not offer the certain denier of the fly, floor, or canopy fabric.
This test represents my initial practical experience with the Huge Agnes Fly Creek line of shelters.
For this overview, I wanted to appear at the Huge Agnes Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon inside the context of the standard strengths and weaknesses of double-walled shelters.
- How did it execute below cold, wet, and condensation heavy circumstances?
- How did it hold up in the wind?
- How did its weight and packability examine to other one particular-particular person double-walled shelters?
Due to an $800 value tag, a important priority for me testing this shelter was durability. It is difficult to envision tossing down that type of money for a shelter that does not hold up. I was on the lookout for any material or style flaws that would have rendered the tent unusable more than time.
Lastly, I examined the Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon’s usability and livability:
- How effortless was it to set up (in calm circumstances, wind, or rain)?
- What type of capabilities does it possess, and what contributions do these capabilities make?
- If I had to commit a day in the tent waiting out a specifically nasty storm, how comfy (or not) would that day be?
That $800 price indicates the Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon is competing with some of the lightest, most nicely-made single particular person shelters on the market place. It would have to be a definitely exceptional shelter to stand out.I tested the Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon on two really distinctive excursions. The initial was a six-and-a-half day summer season thru-hike of the Tahoe Rim Trail. On this hike, I was moving speedy and producing use of each scrap of out there daylight. I hardly ever pitched the shelter till just after eight in the evening, and I was packing up each and every morning shortly just after 5 in the morning. The climate was fair and dry, dropping down into the forties (deg F) and higher thirties (deg F) overnight.
On this hike, the Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon’s weight, ease of use, and packability have been my prime issues.
My second test was a 5-evening, off-trail, group hike in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness. The testing circumstances on this trip have been cold, wet, and windy. Overnight temperatures have been frequently in the thirties, sometimes dropping beneath freezing. These have been perfect circumstances to examine the Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon’s stability, and its efficiency in precipitation, condensation management, and durability.
Fall daylight hours and far more time in camp produced for a superior likelihood to get a really feel for the Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon’s livability and afforded me the time to examine each and every function in detail.
Member’s Only Content material
Login as a Premium or Limitless Member to study the complete Efficiency Assessment and Author Commentary sections of this overview:
- Efficiency Assessment: Wind and Climate Resistance, Ease of Use, Condensation Management, Durability, Livability, Compressibility and Weight
- Solution Strengths & Limitations
- Compared To: TarpTent Notch Li
Member’s only version is six,030 words and involves 34 photographs.
Assessment Rating: Above Typical
The Huge Agnes Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon is a nicely-engineered shelter constructed of premium supplies. As a DCF shelter mass-developed by a massive, nicely-recognized gear manufacturer, it shouldn’t be ignored (if something, possibly it will assist drive down the price of DCF shelters).
It performs nicely in moderate wind and other sorts of inclement climate (heavy rain and moderate snow) and weighs a scant 21 oz (595 g). Its most essential function is that it supplies greater protection from inclement climate (cold temperatures, wind, and precipitation) than most single-wall styles in this sub-1.five lb weight variety.
The material is tough for its weight and compresses down nicely into a compact-volume pack program.
There are thoughtful touches right here and there, like integrated line tighteners and further-massive zipper pulls, but I’d favor far more focus to interior organization and usable volume.
It is not effortless to pitch in higher wind (although I identified it handled far more than adequately in moderate wind). If it is precipitating on you for the duration of setup, the interior canopy will get wet ahead of you can get anything covered with a fly. Having said that, the strong fabric inner tent definitely supplies far more buffer for maintaining the inside of the tent dry when pitching it in a storm than if the inner tent was produced with mesh.
The Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon’s chief limitation, although, is its lack of versatility. It is difficult to envision who, specifically, is this tent’s target audience. Compromised livability and a tendency to gather a tiny far more condensation than mesh-canopied 3-season double-walled shelters indicate that it may only be perfect for chilly shoulder-season trips in dry climates or speedy-moving summer season adventures exactly where the climate enables lounging outdoors of the tent. In either case, it may well appeal most to backpackers who in all probability do not use trekking poles and have a relatively massive pile of money to throw about. There are definitely more affordable shelters on the market place that execute just as nicely, if not greater, although none of them share the Fly Creek HV1 Carbon’s distinctive mixture of style components.
If you are going to commit $800 on a backpacking shelter, I (personally) think it ought to be far more versatile and far more comfy than the Huge Agnes Fly Creek HV1 Carbon. Some minor livability modifications in the interior and a bigger vestibule would strengthen its usefulness, but it is difficult to see how the interior could really feel much less cramped with out a total redesign, or an upgrade in weight, price, and interior volume to the two-particular person version of this tent (which only adds a couple of ounces of weight).
Eventually I assume the price will have to drop by a couple of hundred dollars (at least) to make this shelter a significant player in the DCF game. Till then, it will be intriguing to appear out for these shelters on the trail and see how they are getting employed – and by whom.
Bottom Line: The Huge Agnes Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon will appeal to these who want the absolute lightest double-wall (with strong fabric inner) tent on the market place that supplies affordable protection from cold, wind, and snow-loading, and is prepared to recognize its chief limitations: lack of versatility in fair climate circumstances and livability due to compact interior volume and front-entry vestibule.
Exactly where to Invest in
Connected Content material
- Final year our neighborhood speculated about the Huge Agnes Fly Creek HV 1 Carbon’s doable pros and cons. Had been they on track? Fairly significantly. I didn’t study the thread till just after I wrote my overview, and it was fascinating to see how the two lined up. You can study the thread right here.
Updated October 18, 2019
- Solution(s) discussed in this overview have been either acquired by the author from a retailer or otherwise supplied by the manufacturer at a discount/donation with no obligation to offer media coverage or a solution overview.
- Backpacking Light does not accept compensation or donated goods in exchange for assured media placement or solution overview coverage.
- Some (but not all) of the hyperlinks in this overview may well be “affiliate” hyperlinks. If you click on one particular of these hyperlinks and pay a visit to one particular of our affiliate partners (typically a retailer internet site), and subsequently spot an order with that retailer, we obtain a compact commission. These commissions assist us offer authors with honoraria, fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and far more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!