Lake Vermilion monster musky is new MN catch-and-release record – Twin Cities


Corey Kitzmann of Davenport, Iowa, now holds Minnesota’s state record for a catch-and-release muskellunge: a 57¼-inch monster caught on Lake Vermilion earlier this month.

Corey Kitzmann of Davenport, Iowa, with the Minnesota record catch-and-release muskellunge, a 57 ¼-inch monster caught on Lake Vermilion on Aug. six, 2019. (Courtesy photo)

The fish, caught Aug. six and certified on Oct. 11, had a 25½ -inch girth and is estimated to have weighed about 47 pounds.

The Minnesota Division of Organic Sources on Monday stated it has certified the fish as the new catch-and-release record. The earlier record was a 56 7/eight-inch fish caught on Pelican Lake in Otter Tail County in 2016.

Kitzmann’s loved ones has a cabin on the well known lake that has developed numerous major muskies in current years. He was fishing alone when the battle occurred, largely pondering about the terrible news that a close pal had just died unexpectedly.

“I worked my way by means of my favourite milk run of spots with my newly tied bucktail, pondering about all the techniques my buddy had impacted my life and the memories we had shared with each other,” Kitzmann told the DNR. “I’m not certain there is a greater location in the whole planet to reflect on life than in a boat on Lake Vermilion.”

Just after a couple of hours with no action, Kitzmann pulled up to 1 of his favourite spots that had been hot earlier in the week, fishing with his hand-produced bucktail and 80-pound line.

“When I set the hook, I knew quickly that I had a good fish on. It wasn’t till the fish produced its way to the side of the boat that I realized I had a correct giant,” he stated.

The fish produced a couple of trips about the boat, beneath the trolling motor, and even gave a jump or two. Kitzmann grabbed his net and managed to make a profitable scoop to net the fish and haul it into the boat.

A nearby boater and his loved ones had been watching the fight unfold and Kitzmann waved his arms asking for aid. A man pulled up, jumped in his boat and was capable to take pictures and help with the release.

Just after a couple of pictures, Kitzmann got the fish back in the water, supported its belly and watched the fish swim out of sight. He described what followed as two hours of floating aimlessly across the lake generating telephone calls to loved ones and good friends, like his dad who had gotten him into muskie fishing when he was eight years old.


Latest posts