We want to take #OptOutside a step additional this year. As we ask our members and workers to join the fight for life outdoors, here’s what we’re committing to in return.
We’re rethinking the future of retail—and generating strategies for all members to take component in the circular economy.
We’ve considerably expanded our rental and made use of gear offerings in 2019 and are continuing to add possibilities to support far more individuals get outdoors far more sustainably and affordably. This fall, we’re:
- Inviting five,000 members to pilot a made use of gear obtain-back program—in which members might get REI present cards when they trade in gently made use of outside products for resale at REI.com/used that will extend the life of higher-excellent made use of outside gear and apparel
- Testing a new on the web rental reservations method that we program to roll out far more broadly in 2020—making it a lot less difficult for shoppers to reserve the gear they have to have for their outside adventures
- Launching seasonal ski rentals for children and adults
We’re tackling waste—inside our personal operations and in communities across the nation.
- We’re functioning toward a objective of operating as zero-waste (diverting 90% of waste from landfills) across our total operations by the finish of 2020.
- Taking that one particular step additional, by the finish of 2021, we’ll certify our headquarters, our distribution centers and at least 10 REI retailers as Accurate Zero Waste facilities.
- We’re also committed to sharing anything we find out along this journey and assisting other retailers figure it out, also.
- With partners like Subaru of America, we’ll support members recycle challenging-to-recycle products like snack wrappers year-round, as nicely as gather and upcycle bike tires and tubes, yoga mats and blocks, tents, and reusable bottles at choose retailers via November 2019.
- We’ll solicit member feedback for what we need to take on subsequent, through REI’s digital neighborhood, Conversations.
And, we’re difficult ourselves and our partners to remove unnecessary packaging in the outside market—for great
By the finish of 2020, our workers and shoppers will see a substantial reduction in polybags (the clear plastic bags made use of to ship apparel). We have tremendously lowered polybags for our personal brand, and we are committed to functioning with brand partners to cut down the use of unnecessary plastic packaging, also.
The post REI’s Opt to Act Commitments appeared very first on REI Co-op Journal.